Advice + Info
Alcohol + drugs
'Drugs' refers to all drugs including medicines, volatile substances, alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs.
This Gimi page isn't about telling you what to do or what not to do. What's important is to try and understand the different situations that you might find yourself in and to have some way of dealing with what life may throw at you. Remember, what is seen as risky behaviour by one group of people may actually be seen as totally normal to another group.
Alcohol and drugs is a big issue in most parts of our country however, the majority of young people do not use drugs and alcohol. Whether experimenting with drugs or alcohol, using them regularly yourself or living with a carer/parent who does, there is help and support available from trained professionals in all parts of the County.
The questions below can be used to judge whether drug or alcohol use is getting out of hand. Under 14 year olds who answer 'Yes' to one or more should contact their local specialist service. Young people between 14 - 18 years old who answer 'Yes' to 2 or more should contact their local specialist service.
- Have you ever ridden in a Car driven by someone (including yourself) who was high or had been using
- alcohol or drugs?
- Do you ever use alcohol or drugs to Relax, feel better about yourself, or fit in?
- Do you ever use alcohol or drugs while you are by yourself or Alone?
- Do you ever Forget things you did while using alcohol or drugs?
- Do your Family or Friends ever tell you that you should cut down on your drinking or drug use?
- Have you ever been in Trouble while you were using alcohol or drugs?
Young people in North Yorkshire can get information and support from lots of different places. From general information to special support and counselling, its all out there:
For everyone - school, doctors, Gimi, 4Youth service
These places should be able to provide you with information on drugs and alcohol. They will also be able to signpost you to other services (see below).
A little extra help - 4Youth service, targeted youth support
Here you can get a little bit of extra help such as guidance on drugs or alcohol use and how it may be impacting upon your life and the life of those around you, and things you can do to reduce the harm you may be doing to yourself.
Some young people need special help and support from workers who only do work on drugs and alcohol. Whether you are struggling with your own use or having a hard time because someone you live with is using drugs or alcohol, these services can help.
Some young people may need intensive treatment and support. This is also available through your specialist worker.
- Selby - Compass - 01757 212 355 www.compass-uk.org
- Hambleton and Richmondshire - HARCAS - 01609 780 486 www.harcas.ik.com - for more information see download below.
- Harrogate and Skipton - CODA - 01756 794 362 www.coda-craven.org
- Whitby, Ryedale and Scarborough - DAYS, Cambridge Centre - 01723 367 475 www.cambridgecentre.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Great links to more advice and information on alcohol and drugs
- www.bbc.co.uk/health - info and advice on a wide range of addictions.
- learn.genetics - how do drugs effect the brain? Find out at 'Mouse Party'.
- www.redcross.org.uk - the recovery position, a good technique for everyone to know.
- www.drinkaware.co.uk - masses of info and resources on alcohol and how it can effect your health.
- www.roadwise.co.uk/young-drivers - information on drug-driving and its consequences.
- www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs - alcohol facts and trivia that could just save your life.
- www.drinkingwithcharlie.co.uk - Introducing Cocaethylene, a third drug created when alcohol and cocaine meet and in this case three is definitely a crowd!
- www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat - try out BBC Newsbeat's booze calculator.
- www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents - some advice for parents.
- www.balancenortheast.co.uk - campaign looking at how young people are encouraged to drink. Have your say!
For events and activity pages bookmarking will mean you get email and SMS reminders.
For normal pages bookmarking makes the page appear in your Top 5.